The Tea Lady

The Tea Lady
Lena travelling the world

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The highlight of the day; Clear Cafe

This morning someone pick me up at 9am to go rafting. I did not really want to do this excursion, but the Australian woman that I met, said for $30 it was really worth going. Once I arrived, we are a group of 5 and for the first time, I was able to have conversations with people! A mother and daughter from British- Columbia and a couple on their honeymoon, from California. We start to walk across rice fields, than the descent begins, amazingly they made concrete steps all the way down. It is very steep, and not for the faith heart! If you are not in shape, I would abstain from doing this excursion. As I was going up and down the stairs I was wondering if they ever had someone have a heart attack here! We are right in the middle of the jungle, at the bottom awaits our boat and the water is higher than normal. Once you arrived at the bottom, you’re ready to jump in the river, you’re so hot! For two hours we go down the river, the Ayung River (means beautiful women)it is not a rough ride, it is turbulent enough to have fun, but not enough for hard core rafters! Once in awhile you get a good splash from the river, if not from the other boats that purposely splash us while passing our boat. Only once we came close to flip over. It is so nice and calm over here, most of the time we are in the shade which is perfect, I didn’t bring any sunscreen. For at least a good twenty minutes we are drifting along steep rocks that are carved by the talented Balinese with folk arts, all along the bank of the river, many of these places are inaccessible. The carvings are stunning and I was so upset my small camera did not work. If I had know they provided us with floating bags to put our personal belongings, and those carvings existed, I would off brought my good camera. After the carvings, a series of waterfalls, on both sides, than I really tall and big one. The waterfall is also a stunning panorama photo I missed! Water comes rushing down from no less than 200 feet. You can barely stand on your two feet at the bottom of the fall, water tumbling down from far above, gives you a vigorous back massage. When we first reach the waterfall, our boat went directly under the waterfall; it gives you a rush going under all that water. You get to feel how powerful it is. The water was nice and fresh and not as cold as you would expected for a waterfall! We saw one of the most beautiful setting for a hotel here, it turns out it, the other place own by the same people where I am staying. By the river they even had a beautiful tranquil place to meditate. We didn’t really have to work too hard, it was perfect, I am not sure I would like to be in more turbulent water, this is perfect. The two hours went by so fast. The climb up was very scenic, overlooking at the stunning rice paddies but a hike that left me breathless at the top of the hill. I had heard there was many company selling this tour, it varies from $30 to $79. I always ask the people I trust here and they find me what I need, I was a bit worry because I took the cheapest tour, who turned out to be the best one of all, as we begin at the very top of the river and others begin at various point further down. We had a fabulous lunch after and got to mingle with the other tourist. It is nice to find out comments from other travelers. I was thinking of going to Dreamland, who looks so beautiful , on the ocean with a white sand beach (most of the beaches here are black sand) after hearings some of the comments, I will not bother going down to see it, but I am very tempted to visit the north of Bali, Lovina is apparently worth going, you can find a decent room for $10 a night (breakfast included) and the best snorkeling, ever. This girl has snorkeled all over the world and she told us Lovina was amazing, with it’s big turtles and wild dolphins. Dolphins! I would go a hundred mile to be with dolphins, especially if they are not in a prison! It is also close to the hot spring I wanted to visit and very close to the volcano that is still active. The rafting was worth every penny, and I am happy I decided to go.
But the highlight of my day was diner at CLEAR CAFÉ! As you know I am writing a cookbook about eating and living well. This place is the nirvana for a “foodist” like me! I didn’t even know this place existed, and I must of walk by 20 times. Tonight a young hostess was on the side walk with the menu and I took a minute to look at it, at first sight it is very interesting. I kept walking to the other restaurant I was heading to. Once there I didn’t like the atmosphere and walk back to Clear Café. Once you enter the grounds, the cachet of the entrance is very unique and welcoming. I saw many shops that you have to take your shoes off, but I have not seen a restaurant where you must leave your shoes by the door. The entrance is a clever mix of modern and traditional Balinese elements and the designer of this place must have done a few green projects. There is a definite influence of passion for a natural environment and even if the menu would not appeal to me, it’s the kind of place I would go for a drink just to admire the design. Fresh, airy and bright the multi use of raw material is well balance between modern, contemporary and a touch of Asian. The raw material used for the various applications are stunning. Even the stone on the wall, which name escapes me at the moment (Albatre in French), has the effect of a giant candle. Beautiful chairs custom made with Balinese wood (I am assuming), tables, walls, everything is green. It is very clean, walking on the floor gives you a nice feeling. The bathroom is stunning, almost too beautiful to be in a restaurant. The toilet has the most beautiful water chamber, it looks like a vase, a beautiful tropical flower stands in it, for a second, you hesitate and wonder, where is the flush . Further in the back, there is more seating along with a water garden and beautiful cascade along the wall. If I ever have enough money to own a loft in a place like Bali, this is the designer I would hire. Apparently he is very young, still in his twenties and from the USA. This young men has eloquence in his taste. But Clear Café does not stop at its design; my flattering remarks are also aim at the Chef. Also a young girl from USA, unfortunately all I know, her name is Sarah. From the influence that I seen in the menu and how lively the food presentation is, she is probably for California. I am not sure if she was instrumental to choices on the menu, if she was, I only have compliments. If she was not, it does not matter because she delivers. This the perfect place for people that are vegetarians, Raw eaters or simply looking to eat healthy. I have not come across anything this close to the quality and taste. I ordered the clear café spring roll with a nice well balanced Tamarind sauce, A Rainbow salad with a superb almond butter dressing and garnish with an edible nasturtium. The salad came with the most amazing cracker I ever tasted, flax seed and sundried tomatoes, bursting with flavor and perfectly moist, not too dry as most crackers are. I am definitely over indulging tonight, going with three dishes, as I cannot resist. Le plat de resistance, even though is a starter, was the Bali Tataki. Seared tuna with cocoa and cayenne, cooked to perfection, beautifully arranged over a bed of Daikon and beet chiffonnade, Dragon fruits, and a cucumber salad, the plate is drizzled with a Mangosteen sauce. It makes the seared tuna at Nomad look pale, compare to the flavour of this dish. I must return to try the RAWVIOLIS, made with delicate slices of Daikon, layered with fresh pesto and Marinara sauce, drizzle with Truffle oil and tarragon. The menu as a large variety and anyone would find something that would appeal to their taste even if they are not vegetarian. Only a few examples of unique dish you can find; Humus, Taboule and falafel, Tempeh Reuben sandwich, Cajun Blackened fish filet sandwiches’, and much more. The staff, is also very nice and tastefully dress in elegant Asian dress. Omic, was a good, cheerful waitress, with good English, it sure will be a pleasure to go back, to try more items on the menu. This is the kind of food I wish a could do in my book, like those crackers are probably the most healthy and tasty combination I’ve seen. If you come to Bali, you must experience this brand new place, on the road that leads to Monkey Forest, near the corner of Dewi Sita. They have just open their doors in February, I am sure soon or later they will be feature in a magazine, check it out before it gets to crowded. I am serious the food here is so good and vibrant I feel like closing my restaurant and come work here as her assistant, this way I wouldn’t have to leave Bali! All the best to this “ diamond in the rough” or as we would call it in French, un vrai bijoux! For the moment the only negative comment would be that they don’t have Wi-HI yet and that my poor Bamboo (cat) did not have left over tonight, and he wasn’t too happy about that!