The Tea Lady

The Tea Lady
Lena travelling the world

Sunday, March 7, 2010

A pedicure in a fish bowl!

This morning the restaurant was very crowded for breakfast, so I took some fruits and a juice to my room and came back later. When I return the hostess looked at me with a smile and said, you cat, I said yes, she said you good person. I have no clue how she knew I had a cat, since she's never been to my room. As I walked to the buffet,she grab my plate and hold it for me. I told her it was ok I could do it, she no its ok, she was all happy or honor to serve me as apparently I had the omen to be a good person! I couldn’t believe it! I decided to go up to the hill to the supermarket to buy cat food and to venture into the book store I saw yesterday. As I was walking up the hill, I was thinking, I won't have much to say on today's blog since all I had on the agenda was to buy cat food and write. After theb supermarket I walk into the book store, who had an array of books about Bali, displayed in the window. All books were covered in plastic, so I ask the clerk if there is any I could see the inside, he indicated to me to choose anyone and he would open it for me. The first one I chose was not what I was looking for. The second was better. Then I went into another section and found one that cut my eye and seem to be what I was looking for. As I approach the counter, he was busy with another customer and was waiting for a credit card authorization, I ask him if I could see the one, in my hands. He and the customer looked at each other and laugh, mumbling something in Balinese and the customer said to me, if you buy it, I will sign it for you. I said “yes, I am sure!” The clerk said, yes he will, its his book, I looked at them with question marks in my eyes, and the customer said, yes it’s my book. A made the book a few years ago. I said “ you are kidding me, right” he said no I am not, than the clerk open the book at the back and show me his picture, they made a joke that he looked better, back than. I look at the photo it was undeniably him, with less hair, as he is bald now, but looks much better, I said, well you still look pretty good, and we all laugh! He signed the book with a dedication and off he went! I couldn’t believe it, what are the odds, among all the books about Bali, I had chosen the right one, and at the right moment.As I walk back, I am thinking to myself, there is no possible way this is real. I hurry back to my computer to check on internet his name. Rio Helmi is a well known photograph, his work appeared in GEO magazine, The New Times magazine and Vogue! Wow, there is never a dull moment in Bali. In his dedication he wrote in his note, “what a world isn’t it”! He couldn’t said it better. The book is outstanding and I cant wait to show it to my husband maybe this will convince him to move here!
I worked all day and I could hear distant thunder and thought I’d better be going for diner early if I don’t want to be cut in the rain. Rain here is always for a short period of time, the longest I seen is an hour, but when it rains, it rains buckets! Hani had recommended a restaurant for me to try more typical food, the driver left me at Dewa Sita street, where the restaurant was, walking towards the restaurant, I saw a spa called fish and walk in with the intention of inquiring the cost of a pedicure. To my surprise this was a different kind of pedicure. I heard about this new age pedicure, making its place in the most trendy cities in the world. Fish pedicures are emerging as a novelty to pamper the feet. It consist of simply immersing your feet in a warm tub of swarming hungry little fish called doctors fish! I am not sold on the idea, since my feet are very ticklish, but for $3 for 15 minutes, its worth trying and definitely a good subject of conversation. Thankfully the fish are toothless. They suck away on crusty, scaly skin, and only a nibbling sensation prevails. I felt pretty ridiculous sitting there alone, laughing and jumping at all time. It takes a few minutes to get use to it, as they really go at it! Poor little thing they must be starving to suck on people’s feet! I asked the girl if ever sometime they refuse to suck on someone feet, and she said yes, if you recently had a pedicure and have very little dead skin they will not suck on your feet, she also mention for some reasons, the odd time, they will not suck on someone’s feet, even if they have lots of dead skin. I guess we don’t all taste good! This would explain my acidic theory. I am sure when a person is too acidic the body transmit signals in the form of odors and skin condition, so we change our diet. I wish I could download pictures on my blog, as a picture is worth a thousand words. The sucking feels better when they are synchronized, although when they get in between the toes, it is hard to stay still. They assured me the fish are fed every night, I wouldn’t want to participate in some animal cruelty sports! I am glad I tried it, but would not do it again, at least not at this location. The atmosphere lacks appeal, and the colors are not right for this place, maybe it was intended that way, so you don’t feel the need to stay longer. I never thought I would be some fish meal's today, well it's time to think about my meal and go find Bunute restaurant.
The restaurant Hani recommended was very good, I had an exquisite plate, as originality is at the front stage at all time, here. It’s a dish with pork, spinach, red beans, hot peppers and spices, cooked in a bamboo and served in it, rice and Sambal Oelek, accompagnied the dish. The bamboo is served on a perpendicular apparatus with a tea light underneath to keep it warm. I must admit, it is almost just as much a pleasure for the eyes as it is to the palate. You fish out the food with chop sticks. The flavor was outstanding and unique. I was expecting the pork to be grounded or in small pieces, I didn’t expect the pork to be pork belly. I tossed all the lard, and transferred the mixture in my rice bowl, served in a coconut shell, I would of taken a second serving without the pork! I am glad I tried this famous staple of Bali, and would strongly recommend it, if you like pork belly.