The Tea Lady

The Tea Lady
Lena travelling the world

Friday, March 5, 2010

Taman Rahasia cooking lesson

Taman Rahasia
Today I had cooking lesson at Taman Rahasia which means “secret garden”. It is a cure little place just down the road from where I am. Small and intimate where the focus is mainly on its guest, who’s many are on a honeymoon and they have a few honeymoon suites .The owner is a lady in her 70’s from Florida, who’s husband pass away and decided to move to Ubud. Her daughter has since married a Balinese. I could see this happening to my daughter if destiny would let me move here. She would fall in love with their spirituality, their respect for womens and how they are so handsome!. My teacher is Hani, a bright and lively nice young woman. The cooking class is fascinating and so easy to make but very unique. As much as I do lots of inspirational cooking (which I teach you how in my book), I would off never thought of these combination of food which are very unique to Bali. Everything is so tasty and fresh. Surprisingly, easy to make, when you have the ingredients handy.
I learn a lot today and again we ate everything we cooked. Hani was allowed to join me and I most say I enjoyed our conversation just as much if not more as the cooking class. She is knowledgeable, bright, spiritual and she graduated from University with a very good English. I am still having difficulty understanding some words, as they have a way to pronounce some letters, for example J sounds like D to me. I could not pronounced the name of my hotel, now I know why, because I was trying to pronounce from reading. Tjumpuhan is pronounced in Balinese Tchampuan! Her father was a priest and she enlighted me with many of the intricate and complex culture of the Balinese people. We talk about black magic and white magic. Still practiced here only by a small minority. She is a Reiki master, this really surprised me and presently studying Linchi, which I have never heard of, that is unlikely for me, to be unfamiliar with a type of Holistic approach. Apparently, Linchi originates from Tibet. I will have to do more research in order to find out more about Linchi. She also help me understand the cast system. I knew they have 4 cast family here, but did not understand their cast system, each cast family as a name, here you will find thousands of Made. The cast here are not like India, which if you come from a low cast you are most likely better dead than alive, as their entire life is misery. Very, degrading to human being. Here it relates to the work trade of the first families in Bali. For example Made might mean Sailor, Ketut means servant. The servant family may marry into the sailor family or the priest family, it is acceptable. Accepted but not encouraged! And here there is just as many Ketut as Made or Wyhan. Many of you have heard the name Kutut Liyer from the book” eat pray and love”. I have received many comments as to rather I would go receive a palm reading from him. Here, is reputation is one that his too old, to be accurate at reading palms. He is known here for being a spiritual person that has the destiny to clear the bad energy before you go to the other side, he is also known for being a medicinal man and an artist. Ketut never attended University or anything remotely close to, Medicine man or woman is sacred knowledge pass from generations to generations. The holy book(medicinal book) is ancient and pass to the next generation. In the Western world we don’t believe in knowledge pass from generations to generations, we believe in a piece of paper, as diplomas are the only thing people trust, which is sad, there is people with far more knowledge and never attended University, and are never taken seriously, often having to practice illegally because no one(the system) will give them the chance to show their knowledge and give them a certificate, as one can only be obtain from coming out of a school! Here, you are revered! If you ask around Bali, everyone knows Ketut, but they don’t really know him as they just know of him. Hani on the other hand, really knows him, he attended her wedding ceremony and came for a blessing, probable one that clears bad energy as well! She has a picture to prove it. Hani agrees with me, going there for a palm reading might be very deceiving. I read articles about his superstar status since the book became a best-seller and the long line of tourist hoping to have some life changing prediction from him. Apparently he says the same to everyone, I met a couple of women that went to see him and were extremely upset, he said the same thing to all three of them, one was told she had a good husband, she is here trying to recover from her husband leaving her for another woman! So no, I will not go see Ketut, but I might check out his place to see if the hype about him is real. I am also curious to understand how people think, as many come here, just because of the book, which was not my case, and by the way, I am so sick of people telling me “ oh!just like the book, eat, pray and love” no, I am not here to find love, although it would be the ideal place for.I am here to write a cookbook and I am not trying to rein act the adventures and outcome of her book! Many come here in the hope of having the same outcome, you should come to Bali or anywhere in this world without any expectations, that is how you have the best time and when things really happen to you.
Back to my cooking class I learned so much today, and again I was the only one in class as I will be tomorrow as well. Hani answered a lot of my questions and I asked if there was a book about the culture of Bali, she said no, it’s never been done. I have wanted to come to Bali for probably a good 20 years long before Bali became famous through the book, and I own every book about Bali already at home, they are mostly Bali architecture books. The ceremonies they have here really makes sense, in April there is one to celebrate the energy of the trees, they will go around and bless each tree with some kind of preparations . I always believe trees are more than just trees, my mother would tell us to lean on the tree with our back against a birch tree and talk to the tree, she believed the tree would hear us. The more I know the more I am wondering if James Cameron did not take his inspiration for the fundamental of his film Avatar right here in Bali. Today, I jump a few time, they are starting to fire their fire crackers. It is to chase the bad energy go away and leave only good energy for the new Year coming up, which is Nyepi day.
Also, today I heard for the first time since I have been here, sirens going up the road than coming back. An accident must of happen up the road but it made me realize how seldom you hear ambulance and police cars here. We are in a very busy town with constant traffic, with just under a million soul living here. Don’t matter if its 9am or Noon, it is a sport here to successfully cross any streets, as they don’t stop and there is only a few crosswalk. Accident are rare incidence here, and people with medical emergency are even more rare. Just in the small town where my boutique is, we hear sirens every day!We had torrential rain again for about ½ hour, the air is fresher, it is nice for a change. Many Germans arrive today at the hotel, which by the way Hani told me, this place is owned by the Royal Family of Ubud, Ubud is now a democracy, the kings family and Palace is right here in town. People are highly respectful of the king and his family. That is why we have the beautiful carved caves in the lagoon, because only them could afford such expense.
I spoke with a couple from Australia, and made the mistake to ask if they were from England, he was all insulted that I taught he was from England. Why, does everybody think they are better than anybody!? He seems to think that his accent should off been a give away as to whom he’s from. I explained to him, as a French person, the subtle difference between English and Auzzie is not noticeable for me.
I did not go and try another restaurant tonight as I have to catch up with my book and tomorrow is another big day. Time sure goes fast.
This place is so cute! I received a notice in my room;
Please be advised that there is a religious ceremony at Gunung Lebah Temple to celebrate the anniversary of the Temple from March 3 till 7th. This will involve a series of rituals to cleanse and bless the Temple. Festivities are on 6th of March will continue into the evening with a performance of Calonarang, a sacred dance symbolizing the eternal battle between good and evil. As a result of this Temple Anniversary, which is considered a most auspicious event on our religious calendar, there will be increased noise which possible audible from the hotel. Members of the local Balinese community will come throughout the day to pray and watch the performance.
We apologise for any inconvenience and appreciate you kind understanding. (exact replica of the letters with typos).