The Tea Lady

The Tea Lady
Lena travelling the world

Friday, February 26, 2010

Bali is hot like no place I ever been!

At first I thought it was my body adjusting to the heat too slowly. It is not like my body needed it to acclimatized, two weeks ago, it was very hot in Republic Dominican as well, but at least we had the breeze. Literally, it feels like you are in a sauna all day! I should shed some pounds with all this sweating! And I should return fully detoxifyed! The humidity is so high, my pile of books, stack on top of each other on my table, are curling like leaves even with the weight of the books! Never seen anything like this. I had the intention to walk downtown Ubud, but I only got as far as the market, so I can buy some nice fruits. I am pretty knowledgable of exotic fruits and some of the fruits here, I have never seen. I will have to research them. They even have Durian fruit, soursop and so much more of the fruits we rarely see in North America. This is a real treat for me. One of the fruit I bought looked like a grenade! But tasted delicious. It had the taste of a smoothie made of strawberry, banana and kiwi. The other fruit I bought looks like a big fig, but with the skin of an Armadillo! I haven't tryed that one yet! Bali is a paradise for photographs! There is so much details and decorations on their properties. And I must say, you dont read this anywhere, but Bali is one of the cleanest place I ever been! Even in the open air sewage you don't see trash. There is a lot of place I visited that were nice but ruined by the fact trash was everywhere, here, not even empty land. The market, was pretty clean compare to any other open air market in the world. After 3 days of raw food, I decided to go to a restaurant near by, for diner, it is simply too hot even at night to venture further. I always dread going to a restautant alone, but here it is a common thing. There is a lot of woman alone, not just guys. So nobody stares at you! I notice everyone had their own hand fan, I have to return to the market to get one of these! I had a delicious meal, very well balance. Roasted potatoes here means french fries! But my plate was perfect, only 5 fries, my chicken with veggies cook a way that is unique to here and a nice salad. The tomatoes looks so good, they had a color that we no longer see back home. I almost wanted to eat them they look so fresh and full of nutrients. But tomatoes and I don't get along at all, I was sad to toss them in my plate. I decided to try the local drink or should I say the National drink, Arak. I thought I was ordering a mild drink, because it had honey and lime and fresh mint, first sip almost knock me off my chair! But it went well with my meal. I had to double check with my calculator twice, my diner with a bottle of water and a drink was a total of $6! I couldn't believe it. Where I am staying you just sign the bill, you never really look at prices. I went to bed early, I cant write anymore, my vision is getting blury, I dont know if its the heat, my age, or the jetlag, but I will have to find some reading lens! It is hard to fall asleep it is so hot, the fan above my bed seems useless, and there is no tv to put me asleep. That is acutally nice not to have tv! Around one o'clock I woke up with some loud music, a bar must be not too far from where we are. I guess any night in Bali is a party night! I just dont know how any body can dance in that kind of heat!